Test cases play a very significant role in software testing. A good test case is expected to be very effective and specific in its actions. Once the test case gets complete with its written work, the QA tester must do a self review himself first. After then it is forwarded to his contemporaries again for a review, before it is handed over for a test suite intended for execution
· Utility Value: Firstly it should be checked that whether a test case is really needed or not. And secondly does this test posse something which has previously been taken into account in some other test case?
· Test Case Objective: the objective of the test case should be known to the tester without any ambiguity. An ideal test case poses a single objective in case there are multiple objectives for a test case that are being tested, then it is suggested that the compound test case be split into further simple test cases.
· Steps: it must be verified that whether the test case contain a particular sequence in steps to be followed for executing the test case? If new testers undertake a test case then whether they can attain the expected result by the test steps or not?
· Inputs: the required inputs in the test case must be clearly stated whether it is number or string as it may lead to return of different or wrong results
· Language: it should be kept in mind that a tester must use a simple and precise language in a test case so as to avoid ambiguousness.
· Results: what ever the results are expected from a test case it should be mentioned before hand.
· Dependencies: it must be checked that the test case under consideration is independent or is dependent on any other test case? Whether these dependencies are to be executed prior to or subsequent to this test case? These all factors should also be included in documentation. In ideal case a test case never have any dependencies with other test cases
· Documentation: A quality test case must clearly state the following things
o name of the author,
o test case priority (if applicable)
o specific requirement